Scott Anderson's career highlights:
- Baystreet Grill (Edison, NJ)
- Teresa Caffe (Princeton, NJ)
- Nova Terra (New Brunswick, NJ)
- Mediterra (Denver, CO and Princeton, NJ)
- Les Copains (Princeton, NJ)
- Ryland Inn (Whitehouse Station, NJ)
- Lawrenceville Inn (Lawrenceville, NJ)
- elements (Princeton, NJ)
"Opening a restaurant isn't new. But opening a restaurant that aims to be new over and over is new," says the smiling, engaging Chef Owner Scott Anderson, about elements, the restaurant he and Stephen Distler opened October of 2008 on Route 206 in Princeton, NJ.
The name is significant: the restaurant will draw on diverse resources, but will look at each element of its palette for direction. Local produce as well as worldwide cooking styles will influence his work. "It's almost like you're listening to the ingredients," says Scott. For this reason, a meal at elements will always be an event.
True to the ingredients, and to its name, elements will feature simple-to-understand chords of flavors constantly reinterpreted. The chef wants to remain open to inspiration and the mood of the moment. A green salad with citrus would not be exactly the same twice, nor would it appear the same way every time you order it. The best analogy is that of a jazz musician who constantly riffs on melodies to keep each experience fresh. Instead, true to the ingredients, and to its name, elements will feature simple-to-understand chords of flavors constantly reinterpreted.
We call it "Interpretative American Cuisine," because we think of our dishes as canvases and paint what feels right, while staying grounded in the essence of the ingredients. The Chef is giving similar creative latitude to the team in the kitchen.
- What's New in Princeton?
- US Route 1 covers Mistral opening
- read more
(posted on 06/05/2013)
- Opinionated About Dining | Top 100 US Restaurants
- elements ranked #23
- elements ranked number 23 in Opinionated About Dining's Top 100 US Restaurants list.
(posted on 03/25/2013)
- Scott Anderson named to 2013 James Beard Foundation Award semi-finalists
- for Best Chef in mid-atlantic region category
(posted on 02/19/2013)
- Friday August 9th, Chef Jason Yu
- Join us and welcome Jason Yu from Oxheart in Houston TX and Alan Kaufman from Shibumi Farm in Princeton NJ. We will be collaborating on a dinner that focuses on wild and cultivated local mushrooms. Like Scott, Chef Jason Yu was also a 2013 James Beard Semi finalist in his region. Justin has [...]
- Monday 6/24 Chef Dominique Crenn & Designer John Shedd
- On Monday, June 24, Chef Dominique Crenn of the two Michelin starred Atelier Crenn in San Francisco, CA will work in conjunction with local New Jersey pottery designer John Shedd to produce a memorable seven-course tasting event. Shedd, who regularly creates custom service ware for elements, is designing a bowl that will aesthetically complement [...]
- Friday 5/17 Chef Matthias Merges & Cultured Pickle Shop
- On Friday, May 17th Chef Matthias Merges of Yusho in Chicago, IL will cook a seven-course meal with Chef Anderson, utilizing products from the Cultured Pickle Shop in Berkeley, CA created especially for the occasion. Pickling gurus Alex Hozven and Kevin Farley will spend weeks working closely with the two chefs to develop ingredients [...]
- Muddy Water
- Spring has sprung here at elements and so have the fresh ideas and beverages. The lastest to hit our non-alcoholic page is the the light but ugly spritzer we are calling Muddy water (due to it appearance). It is a specialty mocktail consisting of our house made cucumber “water”, red plum roobios Kombucha, a thyme [...]
- In the press: Hardies Perfection
- Our latest piece of press is from New York Magazine’s Grub Street. They sought out to find one new amazing, creative cocktail from each state. Can you guess who represented New Jersey? That’s right – elements Princeton. It was the quality of ingredients and the creative inspiration of our head bartender Jamie Dodge that made [...]
- In the press: Nomad
- It is our pleasure to share with you another write-up about the elements bar in the news. In a recent FirstWeFeast.com article about fashionable trends behind the bar (“10 Cocktail Trends You Need to Know”), the “Nomad” cocktail and a quote about the drink are featured. The Nomad is a non-alcoholic mocktail made with aloe [...]